19 November, 2010

***The American Patriot's Almanac Review***

When I found out about Book Sneeze, I was pretty excited.  I went right away to find out what books were available for review.  There were a couple that looked good, but The American Patriot's Almanac: Daily Readings on America by William J. Bennett and John T. E. Cribb claimed that it could make a history lover of anyone.  What an interesting challenge, I thought.  I grabbed it, secretly thinking that this may be my first bad review.
When it arrived, I was very surprised (and disappointed) that it was such a big book.  I was really dreading having to read so much history.  But I had gotten myself into it, so I started reading.

Let me just say that this "history" book is very unique.  I'm not sure how other almanacs work, but this book is divided by days.  365 pages of this book are used to tell a story from American history that took place on that day, along with a short list in the bottom of each of those pages to tell a few more things that happened that day in other years.

I think I have always been very disconnected with history because I never really knew what half the things mentioned in history talk were about.  For instance, I couldn't tell you the number of times I have heard "Valley Forge" in my lifetime.  I NEVER knew what it was.  I just assumed it was some monumental battle fought.  I guess in a sense it kinda was.  But I don't think it was even covered in school.  In school, we just read the chapters, in chronological order, remembered our key terms and dates (there were enough of those!) and were tested on it.  It was boring, I was bad with dates, and  There were so many terms and concepts, I got confused.

This book is absolutely different.  This book makes you feel like you are personally connected with each person.  It takes you behind why John Hancock signed his name so big and how the battle at Iwo Jima went down, along with 363 other stories.

And not just that, It also has other things in it, like Patriotic Poems (I love poems!)  It really does offer something for those of us who aren't history buffs.  But the real question here is this:  Did it actually make a history lover out of me?

Love is such a strong word.    To say that I love history would be a little dishonest.  In fact, to say that I even like history would be pushing it.  But I do love this book.  I love reading it and I love learning new things that went on way back in early American history.  And that is a HUGE step for me.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who isn't a big fan of history.  It's just one minute out of each day, one page... but I guarantee, you'll want to keep reading.

Disclaimer: I received these products to review and was not paid for this review. My review is 100% my honest opinion. Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

0 comments:

 
Free Website TemplatesFreethemes4all.comFree CSS TemplatesFree Joomla TemplatesFree Blogger TemplatesFree Wordpress ThemesFree Wordpress Themes TemplatesFree CSS Templates dreamweaverSEO Design