27 January, 2014

After Action Review: A Self-developement Tool

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.
     I am in introvert.  Not just an introvert, but an introvert at a pretty significant level.  I place much importance on my privacy and I do not need to be out of the home to be happy.  I mean, sometimes I would like a break from the house, who wouldn't?  But when it comes to my life, I do appreciate my solitude and I love that my family knows this about me.
     Because I am an introvert, the idea of asking for help from someone I don't really know or even allowing them to help me when I am approached about it is something I am very uncomfortable with.  Things such as feeling down, problem solving, or learning to be organized... anything that gives even a little hint of who I am behind closed doors feels invasive to me.  I can't help it, I just can't open up that way on a one-on-one level.
     That's why I think the After Action Review tool is a pretty helpful one.  It is an interactive self-analysis tool that lets you look at what you have really accomplished and what you have improved on.  Granted, it is made for the professional to help in their work place, but I think something like this is perfect for me.
     With all the drama of raising 4 girls and a baby, it's super easy for time to slip away and not even notice that supper is running late and that I never did start on that project I intended to start.  So to be able to hold myself accountable is a much needed thing.
     With this program, I can remember (which is really the big problem in MY life) what exactly I wished I had done better or should have done each day.  I can look back and see recurring themes on what my shortcomings are without having to rely on anyone else to remind me.
     Such as, today I had a hard time keeping my patience when there was very loud whining and arguing.  Tomorrow morning, I will see that on my After Action summary and remember that I MUST try to do better.  I will also see that I did a great job getting the kids to actually step up and do as they were supposed to and I can start my day off on a good note and pat myself on the back for a job well done.
     Another pretty neat feature is that it tallies my achievements, lessons learned, and other categories so that I see how many great things I have done or how many things I really should work on right when I log in.  It is such a simple idea and it really does help.
     It also has a section where you can list all your skills.  Talk about a pep talk!  If you are really honest with yourself and you type up your actual skills, it can be nice to go get reassurance when you need it.  It's nice to see your list and know that you are good at things and that you have the tools you need to fix whatever problem you are facing.
     After Action Review is a product of Quick Focus.  They also offer a much more business and workplace oriented program called Professional Mentor.  It's a tool to help get the most out of your workplace and to get goals accomplished and everyone working the best that they can together.  To be honest, most of this program sort of goes over my head as I have never worked in that type of professional field.  But it seems like a great tool for the professional who is looking for the next step up.  And After Action Review is also good for the professional or for someone like me who just needs to start holding themselves accountable and getting things done.  I'm glad that I have it to help me.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

0 comments:

 
Free Website TemplatesFreethemes4all.comFree CSS TemplatesFree Joomla TemplatesFree Blogger TemplatesFree Wordpress ThemesFree Wordpress Themes TemplatesFree CSS Templates dreamweaverSEO Design